Swim all year long with a pool and spa heater
Even in sunny San Diego, water temperatures can drop into the 60s and 70s in the non-summer months (September through May). That’s a majority of the year! Pool heaters are a great way to enjoy your pool and spa year-round. There are certainly other ways to keep your water on the warmer side, such as pool covers and solar, but if you’re looking for warm water on-demand, you’ll need a pool heater.
When it comes to repairing existing heaters or installing new heaters in San Diego, we can help you. We know that it’s annoying to have to wait on parts, which is why we keep the most commonly used components on hand so that we can get the issue resolved as soon as possible. In the case that we don’t have what you need, we maintain relationships with every major manufacturer to ensure we get the necessary parts as soon as possible.
Types of Pool & Spa Heaters
Pool heaters generally fall into three main categories — the key differences lie between each type lie within the source of the heat. When it comes to deciding on a natural gas vs. electric pool heater, we are here to help.
Natural Gas / Propane Heaters
First, and most popular, would be the natural gas or propane pool heater. Natural gas or propane is utilized to heat copper coils through which your pool water flows, quickly warming the water as it is returned into your pool. Although these heaters have been around a long time, they have become increasingly more efficient in recent years. Most commonly, these heaters would generate heat from a natural gas line on your property (similar to your stove), however they can run on portable propane tanks (similar to a fire pit).
- Less expensive to purchase (usually $3,000 – $4,500 installed)
- Simple to repair and replace parts as needed
- Quickest way to heat water (great for those who want to heat on-demand)
- More expensive to operate, compared to electric heater (roughly twice the cost)
- Not the most efficient option for those who want to heat the pool year-round or for long periods of time
- Natural gas can be more dangerous than electricity
Electric Heat Pumps
Electric heat pumps are relatively new, and arguably the most efficient way to heat your pool. This is a particularly great option for those who want to heat their pool year-round, or for several weeks or months at a time. Electric heat pumps draw air from the outside, circulates it through a refrigerant system which extracts the hot air, pumps the air through a compressor to draw more heat, and pushes that hot compressed air into the water. Although the application of electric heat pumps for pools is relatively new, this process has long been used in home heating systems.
- Most efficient heating method and least expensive to operate (roughly half the cost of a natural gas heater)
- Environmentally friendly
- Best option for someone who wants to heat their pool year-round
- More expensive to purchase (usually $5,000 – $7,000 installed)
- Difficult to repair and to find replacement parts
- Requires ambient air temperature of 50 degress farenheit, or higher, to function properly
Hybrid Heating Systems
Hybrid pool heaters are the best of both worlds. They are a cross between a natural gas / propane heater and an electric heat pump. Taking the best attributes from both systems, hybrid heating systems provide the on-demand heat from natural gas when needed, and utilize electricity to provide long-term heat. These versatile units, while an excellent solution, do come at a premium.
- Provides on-demand heat as needed, no matter what the ambient air temperature is
- Efficient, long-term heating solution
- Most expensive option to purchase (usually above $9,000 installed)
- Difficult to repair and to find replacement parts
- Requires both electricity (usually 220v) and natural gas
- Most expensive option to purchase
Heater Installation & Repairs in San Diego
Do you want to install a new heater? Or is your current heater in need of a repair? No problem, we are here to help. We’d be happy to schedule a service call where we could come by to diagnose the issue and give you a complete estimate.
When it comes to installing or repairing your pool heater in San Diego, our team is here to take care of it. We perform all types of pool heater repairs and replacements, including:
- Installation of new natural gas heaters, electric heat pumps, and hybrid heating systems
- Heater diagnosis and troubleshooting
- Replacing internal heating and electrical components
- More! Our team is capable of anything when it comes to pool heaters
About Our Repair Department
Our team of in-house technicians is licensed, trained, insured, and ready to be of service. We have decades of experience in all types of major and minor repairs for both residential and commercial pools, including pool filters, pool heaters, pool lights, pool automation, pool timers, pool filters, pool pumps, pool plumbing, pool valves, pool skimmers, pool drains, in-floor cleaners, pool vacuums, pool safety devices and more. We work directly with all major manufacturers (Jandy, Hayward, Pentair, Zodiac, and more) to ensure we can offer the best pricing possible.
We believe in transparency and good, old-fashioned communication. From scheduling a service call to a completed repair, you won’t have to wonder what’s going on, how much the repair might cost, or when it will be finished.
As one of the premier pool repair companies in San Diego, we stand behind the quality of our work. If we make a mistake, we will be back to fix it immediately and at no additional cost to you.